RE: crural or sural? [HAPP-L]

Hi John,

In my anatomy class, I use the term "crural" to refer to the leg (that part
of the lower extremity between the knee and ankle).  Some texts (e.g.,
Marieb) use this term to refer to JUST the anterior leg, whereas others (Van
De Graaf and Fox) use the term for both the anterior and posterior parts of
the leg.  I have never heard the term used to describe the "thigh" region
before!!

Stedman's medical dictionary defines "sural" as "relating to the calf of the
leg".  (in other words, the posterior part of the leg).  The "sural" nerve
is found along the calf of the leg, so using the term 'sural" for posterior
leg would make sense.

I *think* you can use "crural" in a general sense (meaning, referring to the
leg, that part of the lower limb from the knee to ankle), whereas the term
"sural" should be restricted to the posterior part of the leg.

Does anyone else have any comments on this matter?

Valerie

Valerie Dean O'Loughlin, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Anatomy and Cell Biology
Director of Undergraduate Human Anatomy
Medical Sciences
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN  47405